Saturday, July 2, 2011

Vioce of the West.

When I was very young, I lived in Colorado Springs, and it was a much simpler time. It was nothing for my mother to let me go down town to the movies by myself at the age 7 or 8. She even let me go down to see the big parade of the year, the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo. It was a magical time for me. Horses of every shape and size ridden by cowboys and cowgirls from all over, but the biggest thrill for me was to see the Grand Marshall. The one that sticks out most in my memory was Rex Allen and his horse Koko. Well last weekend I found a radio station that took me back to that time. It is out of Santa Ynez California and I stumbled on it through Face Book. I can listen to it on the internet and hear the music that reminds me of the West that I grew up in. Thanks to their Face Book page I was even able to exchange messages with the son of one of my childhood heroes Rex Allen Jr. The flow of old country to the distinct sound of western music makes it fun to listen to and is conducive to my writing efforts. Since this is our Independence Day holiday I can think of very little that epitomizes the Spirit of our country more than the mythos of the American Cowboy and our western expansion. If you are looking for a great mix of music that you won’t hear anywhere else take time to check out Range Radio the voice of the West. Now if you will excuse me I will take a trip back in time and try to write some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment