Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Inside of a man, the outside of a horse.

Through out history there have been mountains of literature about the connection between man and animals. Recently we have found that having a bond between dogs and people to be a way of healing emotional trauma. Out in New Mexico on the Turquoise Trail National Scenic Byway at the Crossed Arrows Ranch, Santa Fe, NM.a retired U.S. Marshal and former Green Beret has opened his heart and home to Veterans who have sustained physical trauma or PTSD. Unlike many horse and rider therapies this program teaches the men and women how to translate skills they learned in the military into ranch skills. They learn how to work horses and cattle which gives them a sense of purpose and belonging which is something they had in the military. As a writer this idea captured my imagination, as a veteran it captured my sense of duty, as an American it captured my heart. So I have been posting about this every chance I get. From here on out at least a portion of all royalties from my books and short stories will go to this endeavor. For more information just remember their motto Cowboy Up I hope that others will also choose to get involved. 
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. 
~ Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment